A native of Monroe, North Carolina, Terry Baucom has enjoyed a career in music that started in 1970 with Charlie Moore and continued over the years as a founding member of ground breaking bands like Boone Creek (with Ricky Skaggs and Jerry Douglas), Doyle Lawson & Quicksilver, IIIrd Tyme Out and more. Winner of the 2013 IBMA Recorded Event of the Year for “What’ll I Do,” Baucom currently tours with his own band, “Terry Baucom’s Dukes of Drive.” Last year’s single, “The Rock,” finished 2015 as Bluegrass radio’s most played song on the Bluegrass Today chart. The band’s current Top 10 single, “Around The Corner,” is receiving heavy national and international airplay. In 2008, Deering Banjos introduced the Terry Baucom Signature model banjo, while the Dunlop company also uses Baucom as an endorser, offering Terry Baucom custom sets of banjo strings. A testament to his influence is evident when you listen to countless younger generation banjo players who use Baucom signature licks and emulate his driving technique. In addition to playing on numerous recording sessions and producing instructional materials, Baucom teaches banjo, face to face – both privately and in camp and workshop settings.
The band consists of Joey Lemons from King, NC, on mandolin and vocals; Will Jones of Cana, VA, on guitar and vocals and Joe Hannabach of Pfafftown, NC on bass.
- 2015 Inductee – Blue Ridge Music Hall of Fame
- 2013 IBMA Recorded Event of the Year – “What’ll I Do”
- 2007 IBMA Gospel Recorded Performance – “He Lives In Me” (as member of Doyle Lawson & Quicksilver)
- 2006, 2005, 2004, 2003 IBMA Vocal Group of the Year (as member of Doyle Lawson & Quicksilver)
- 2001 IBMA Instrumental Recorded Performance of the Year – “Knee-Deep In Bluegrass”
- 1994 IBMA Emerging Artist of the Year – Lou Reid, Terry Baucom & Carolina